WHO Fact Sheet: Pneumonia
Fact sheet N°331
- Pneumonia is the leading cause of death in children worldwide.
- Pneumonia kills an estimated 1.4 million children under the age of five years every year – more than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
- Pneumonia can be caused by viruses, bacteria or fungi.
- Pneumonia can be prevented by immunization, adequate nutrition and by addressing environmental factors.
- Pneumonia can be treated with antibiotics, but around 30% of children with pneumonia receive the antibiotics they need.
Full Fact Sheet: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs331/en/index.html