Update: Polio this week – As of 19 Sep 2012
Global Polio Eradication Initiative
Next week (on 27 September), UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon will host a high-level event on polio eradication, in the margins of the UN General Assembly in New York. The event, ‘Our Commitment to the Next Generation: The Legacy of a Polio-free World’ will bring together leaders of the remaining endemic countries, donor governments, development agencies, spearheading partners and representatives of the media, to draw attention to the urgent need for focus and commitment to eradicate the remaining 1% of polio cases worldwide.
The event will be followed by a global civil society festival on 29 September, bringing together top artists with an audience of 60,000 to a concert in New York’s Central Park, to catalyse further action to end polio and extreme poverty. For more, please visit www.globalfestival.com
- Four new cases were reported in the past week (two WPV1s from Kano and two WPV1s from Jigawa), bringing the total number of cases for 2012 to 88. The most recent case had onset of paralysis on 20 August (WPV1 from Jigawa).
- Additionally, two new cases of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) were reported from Kano state, the most recent of which had onset of paralysis on 1 August. Nigeria remains the only country in the world with ongoing circulation of all three serotypes: WPV1, WPV3 and cVDPV2…
- Five new cases were reported in the past week (all WPV1s, four from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa – KP, and one from Punjab), bringing the total number of cases for 2012 to 35. The most recent case had onset of paralysis on 30 August (WPV1 from KP).
- These latest cases are not in the traditional reservoir areas of KP and FATA (mainly centred around Peshawar and Khyber Agency), but are from adjacent districts in north-eastern KP. A mop-up outbreak response is currently being planned in the area…
Horn of Africa
- Following confirmation two weeks ago of a cVDPV type 2 case in a Somali refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya (linked to last year’s cVDPV type 2 in south-central Somalia), a further cVDPV2 case was reported from Kismayo, south-central Somalia. This case had onset of paralysis on 23 July.
- An immunization response is currently being planned, to reach more than 800,000 children in eastern Kenya, including in the Dadaab refugee camps (target age groups in the camps will be <15 years)…