Update: Polio this week – As of 10 Oct 2012
Global Polio Eradication Initiative
- China one year polio-free: 9 October 2012 marked 12 months since China’s last polio case. In 2011, polio from Pakistan had infected the country, which had eradicated indigenous polio in 1994. China conducted a model response, and successfully stopped the outbreak in record time – three months from index to last case…
- Two new cases were reported in the past week (WPV1s from Kandahar), bringing the total number of cases for 2012 to 21. One of the newly-reported cases is the most recent in the country, and had onset of paralysis on 20 September…
- Three new cases were reported in the past week (WPV1s from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa – KP, Federally Administered Tribal Areas – FATA, and Sindh), bringing the total number of cases for 2012 to 43. The new case from FATA is the most recent in the country and had onset of paralysis on 25 September.
- Additionally, a positive environmental sample was reported from Peshawar, KP (collected 13 September)…
- In response to recent cases, mop-ups were conducted last week in key areas of KP, Sindh and Punjab, targeting more than a million children under the age of five years.